Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ten Things I Hate About Me


Ten Things I Hate About Me
Randa Abdel-Fattah

Jamie just wants to fit in. She doesn't want to be seen as a stereotypical Muslim girl, so she does everything possible to hide that part of herself. Even if it means pushing her friends away because she's afraid to let them know her dad forbids her to hang out with boys or that she plays the darabuka drums in an Arabic band. 

But when the cutest boy in school asks her out and her friends start to wonder about Jamie's life outside of school, suddenly her secrets are threatened. Can Jamie figure out how to be both Jamie and Jamilah before she loses it all? Jamie's attempt to stop being the girl everyone expects her to be, and start being the girl she wants to be, a poignant, smart, hilarious, journey that will speak to all readers. 

Firstly i like this book because it's based in Australia.  I mean who doesn't like Australia.... And it has a little deeper meaning, just a little, than it shows in the front flap, like racism between cultures. What hurts a little is that they didn't mention Timothy in the summary, he who is a large part of the book. One of my favorite characters in the book are Bilal, who is Jamie/Jamilah's brother.... He has a big ego... I would recommend this book, but it's not my favorite. It was a nice, easy read, that i wouldn't read again, but am glad i read it....

3 comments:

Strawberry said...

Haha, you should. It has an awesome meaning and really makes you think...which one would you choose?

I don't mean you as in you, I mean as in...never mind.

Jordie19 said...

ha ha ha

Strawberry said...

Thank you! :D I actually don't like it that much. Hahaha. I'm my own biggest critic, I guess...