Friday, July 3, 2009

Bliss


Bliss
Lauren Myracle

With it's stately, ivy covered buildings, Crestview Academy seems impossibly to newcomer Bliss, but full of promise too. It's here she hopes to make the sort of friends she never could growing up as the lone kid on a commune. With her crisp new uniform and manners gleaned from the wholesome TV shows her grandmother permits her to watch, Bliss feels ready for her new life at Crestview. Until she hears the voice. 
Crestview holds secrets in its stones, ghostly hints of a long ago death. Sensitive Bliss hears a voice that speaks of terrible things... and blood. Always blood. Her fellow students, with their sunny smiles and talk of makeup and dances, seem untouched by this darkness. Yet, as Bliss will learn, they too have secrets. When the simmering tensions of the present mingle with the dark secrets of the past, it is kindly Bliss who becomes the focus of a deadly struggle for power. 
First of all i just wanted to point out this was not as bad as my friends said it was. She considered it Generation Dead bad, and it isn't even close to that. Yes, it is a little creepy. Yes, a little weird and scary too, but that what comes alongside the guidelines of a horror story. This book, ends badly. And was a little bit poorly written. Some of the events are unrealistic, but then again it's a horror story. I believe it is set a couple of decades ago, and things were different back then, if you decide to read it. It is a little racist, and I, being of the African American race , could handle it, so can others. It's is sad, but it's also the truth of what happened. So for me this book was okay if you read it, but not life changing, and the world would keep turning if you didn't. 

4 comments:

Strawberry said...

Ugh, I know what you mean. I do that with everything I write.
Haha, I have a bunch of stories that are 1-2 pages long that I never went anywhere with. What's your story for history about?
Well, yeah, I guess. If it wasn't, how would it have made it to a saying?

Strawberry said...

Ooh, cool. One time in humanities we were supposed to write a suspenseful story and mine was AWESOME (if I do say so myself). It was called Super Awesome Suspense Story Of Suspense, or something like that.

Woot! I feel so special, thank you :D I LOVE The Hunger Games. It's so addictive and amazing. The only book I know that could come even close to being better than it is Wintergirls. I can't wait till the next book comes out. Oh, I know what you mean! Darn, I NEED to buy that book so I can read it whenever! Argh.

Strawberry said...

Oh, gosh, I don't know. I know she has more of a history with Gale but he wasn't a huge part of the book, which makes it harder to connect with him. And Peeta's just...wow. I don't know enough about Gale to make a fair choice, but I'd have to go with Peeta.

ME TOO! When's it coming out again? I completely forget.

I think the ending was great. She did leave everyone hanging, but the ending was very well written and molded so it would work on it's on but would be better of connected to another book. I wonder what edge-of-your-seat action will be in the next book.

Strawberry said...

Ruth? You mean Rue? Yeah, that was pretty shocking...
Assuming you mean Rue, because I have no idea who Ruth is.

AHHH SEPTEMBER FIRST! That's so looooooong from now! :( I like cliffhangers when the next book is already out, but hey. Haha. "what about gale!" Yeah, you're right.